Amazon Simple Storage Service: Bucket Configuration Options
To configure a bucket for website hosting, add configuration to manage objects lifecycle in the bucket, and configure the bucket to log all access to the bucket, Amazon S3 supports sub-resources. Subresources help to store and manage the bucket information. Subresources can be created by using of AWS SDK, AWS API or Console.
These are object level configuration, so it is used to configure object-level permissions by configuring an access control list (ACL) specific to that object. these exist in the context of a specific bucket or object and enable a user to manage bucket-specific configurations.
Following are the lists of main subresources and uses
- Location: This subresource contain the region information where bucket has been created and provides the API to retrieve information
- Policy and ACL (Access control list): Contains permission information (both bucket policy and access control list (ACL)). please note, all resources (Bucket and objects) are private by default.
- Website: Amazon S3 store the web site hosting configurations
- Logging: Amazon S3 store access logs information that can be useful in security and access audits. Each access log record provides details about a single access request, such as the requester, bucket name, request time, request action, response status, and error code, if any.
- Event notification: This subresource enable bucket to send notifications of specified bucket events
- Versioning: Versioning helps you recover accidentally overwrites and deletes
- Lifecycle: Use to define lifecycle rules for object in bucket to move to Standard-IA, Glacier after certain periods
- Cross-region replication: is the automatic, asynchronous copying of objects across buckets in different AWS Regions
- tagging: This subresource is used to store and manage tags on a bucket, helps to track AWS costs
- Request Payment: Using this sub-resource, the bucket owner can specify that the person requesting the download will be charged for the download
- transfer acceleration: Transfer Acceleration enables fast, easy, and secure transfers of files over long distances between a client application and an S3 bucket.